After retiring as Chief Judge of the 19th Judicial Circuit of Lake County, Judge Fred Foreman rejoined Freeborn & Peters LLP as Senior Counsel in the Firm’s Litigation and Government & Regulatory Practice Groups.
Judge Foreman was elected Circuit Judge in 2004. From 2004-2012, Judge Foreman presided as a Trial Court Judge until his election by his fellow Circuit Judges as Chief Judge in 2011 and served as Chief Judge from 2012-2014.
Judge Foreman built a reputation as a distinguished litigator at Freeborn for his service as outside counsel on behalf of the State of Illinois v Philip Morris, et al. and as special counsel in representing state officials and state agencies. His experience includes trials involving antitrust, securities, RICO, environmental, constitutional law, civil rights, fraud, and murder. He has extensive experience in advising clients on matters pending before state and federal regulatory agencies and has successfully assisted clients in passing legislation before the state legislature and units of local government. He has supervised numerous corporate internal investigations and represented clients throughout the world on matters of corporate espionage, electronic intrusions, and theft of intellectual property.
As a seasoned civil and criminal attorney, Judge Foreman has tried more than 200 cases in federal and state courts and previously served as United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois from 1990-1993 and as States Attorney of Lake County from 1980-1990.
During Judge Foreman’s term as Chief Judge of the 19th Judicial Circuit, the Circuit initiated or completed the following projects:
- The approval of a new Criminal Courts Tower adjacent to the Courthouse in downtown Waukegan, Illinois, scheduled for completion in 2017;
- The implementation of Intensive Case Management (ICM) in the Criminal Division to reduce the number and length of continuances in felony cases, provide for expedited DNA and scientific testing of evidence, and reduce the time an offender is housed in the Lake County Jail;
- The establishment of the Executive Justice Council (EJC) chaired by the Chief Judge and composed of all stakeholders in the Criminal Justice System designed to address funding, case management, jail population, technology, court security, and related issues;
- The implementation of the Illinois Supreme Court’s Project for Cameras in the Courts of Lake County;
- In conjunction with the Circuit Clerk, the commencement of E-Filing of court documents in civil cases, public access to court records, and the implementation of a new case management system for the Courts.
Judge Foreman participates in a number of pro bono activities, including serving as a member of the board of the Illinois Judges Association, as a member of the board of the Illinois Judges Association Foundation, and as a past-president and member of the board of the Jefferson Inn. He has also served on the board of the Lake County Bar Association.